Sunday 25 February 2018

5th Regiment De Ligne

I have finally finished my 5th Regiment de Ligne 3 weeks later than planned.

This unit is made up using Alberken/Minfig 20mm figures.


The 5th was originally the Navarre Regiment in the old Royal Army and I choose this unit for its role in the 100 days campaign and the scene in the film Waterloo.


The elite companies are a rather nice figure. The previous owner had chopped the plume down to make a pom pom.



Inspired by WM flags I had a go at a making a flag using an old Coke can. I found it easy to cut using a pair of scissors and the metal is thin enough to bend an fold without any problems. Painting is not too difficult although I had to do embroidery twice after my first attempt ended up with the letters too large.


The 5th Regiment only had one battle honour - Wagram. This made it a easier to paint this side of the flag. 















21 comments:

Norm said...

Very nicely done, I am both fascinated and scared at the prospect of painting some napoleonics :-)

Wellington Man said...

Those are some of the loveliest vintage figures I've ever seen, Mark. Simply superb. It looks as though it was a bit of a squeeze to get those ginormous figure Alberken bases onto your company stands though!
Best regards, and keep up the fantastic work,
WM

Graham C said...

Great to see Mark, really love how the project is progressing

Anonymous said...



Well those Alberkens certainly scrub up nicely, Mark - by your skilled hands of course!

Anonymous said...

Well those Alberkens certainly scrub up nicely, Mark - by your skilled hands of course!

Tony S

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Fantastic! I may very well try this particular method for a flag or two in future.

Best REgards,

Stokes

Stryker said...

You've done a superb job with these Mark. One battle honour is certainly the way to go with these flags, I must remember to use that trick myself!

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

Like your flag , will have to have a go at this method .

lewisgunner said...

Now repeat ten times and you are there. Simples��

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

Spot on Mark.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Norm

You could always try a few to see if you like them.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi WM

Stryker and yourself have set the bar for painting these classic figures. I am trying to emulated your painting.

The bases are bigger than HH and they are a bit tighter.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Graham

Slow and steady progress at least. I am rather enjoying the challenge of finding classic figures as well as the painting.

Mark Dudley said...

In this case I had to literally scrub up the elite companies after their bleach bath.

They do paint up nicely.

Mark Dudley said...

I got the idea from WM. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. Having a metal flag seems appropriate for these classic figures.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Ian

I choose to do the 5th before I found out they only had one battle honour.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi Tony

You will have to me know how it goes. Coke can are surprisingly thin and easy to cut and bend.

The hardest part was wrapping it around the flag pole.

Mark Dudley said...

Hi LG

As it happens I do have a backlog of units to do. I am still on the look out though particulary Cavalry.

Mark Dudley said...

Thanks Jim.

Aly Morrison said...

Lovely looking toys Mark...

All the best. Aly

Wellington Man said...

"It was actually easier than I thought it would be". You know you can never go back now.....
WM